- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Take Action
- About Domestic Violence
- News & Events
- Trade Secrets
There are a variety of volunteer opportunities at WSS. Some volunteers assist with our hotline while others assist at the office or with special events.
In September we hold our annual volunteer training course. This is a 25-hour course where you will learn about domestic violence, advocacy, basic counseling skills and other related materials. Generally, the class is held on 4 Thursday evenings and 2 Saturday all day sessions. This training is offered free of charge, and when completed, will certify you as a CT Domestic Violence Crisis Intervention Counselor.
*Please note in order to volunteer for WSS you must live or work in our 6 town service area which includes: Canaan, Cornwall, Kent, North Canaan, Salisbury and Sharon. You may also be eligible if you live in neighboring towns in NY such as Amenia, Dover or Millerton.
The dates of our training are as follows:
Thursday, September 6, 2012
Thursday, September 13, 2012
Saturday, September 15, 2012
Thursday, September 20, 2012
Saturday, September 22, 2012
Thursday, September 27, 2012
Once you are certified you can help out as a skilled volunteer doing the following:
- Crisis Line Counseling – participate in the operation of our 24 hour hotline by providing crisis counseling and support to callers, as well as needed information about available resources
- Adult Advocacy & Support – assist our Adult Counselor Advocate in the office by assisting with the hotline and support group activities
- Child Advocacy & Support – provide childcare while parents receive individual or group counseling.
- Court Adovcacy & Support – assist our Family Violence Victim Advocate at the Bantam Criminal Court and provide support for individuals with Civil Court proceedings as needed.
- Transportaton – assist with transportation of clients as needed for court, medical and other important appointments.
- Office Support – assist our Office Administrator with general office tasks; help with gardening and landscaping around the office; and help to maintain the clothing boutique.
- Community Outreach & Awareness Team – meet with our Community Educator to develop, coordinate and participate in community awareness events/activities.
- Legislativie Liaison – attend meetings in Hartford as scheduled and report back to staff on legislative updates and action alerts.
- Fund Raising Committee Support – participate in fundraising events as scheduled.
There are many reasons why people volunteer. Some volunteer because the cause touches home, some volunteer to give back to their community, and some volunteer to better themselves. Whatever the reason, we are grateful you have shown an interest in volunteering at WSS and we appreciate and value your generosity of spirit.
We look forward to meeting you and hope you will join our wonderful group of volunteers!
Interested in becoming a volunteer?
Call or stop by the WSS office. You can also submit an application online.
If you are having trouble submitting the application online you can print an application and mail or fax it to the WSS office.
Women's Support Services
P.O. Box 341
Sharon, CT 06069
Phone: (860) 364-1080
Fax: (860) 364-5767